Should I start shopping at the farmers market instead of my regular grocery store? The answer is, yeah start shopping with local vendors at your farmers market at least some of the time. We get it, the grocery store is convenient and they have some of your favorite items … but the farmers market has a few perks like these:
- GET THE FRESHEST PRODUCE POSSIBLE –
So fresh and so clean is the name of the game here! If you grew up in a rural area, then you know that work starts super early on a farm. When veggies reach the farmers market they are usually the freshest of the fresh. By the time most items hit your local grocery store, they might be over a week old already. A freshly picked squash or pepper is to LIVE for!
- CUT YOUR ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT – Think about the carbon footprint of your local grocery store. The miles and miles … and miles that trucks had to travel to stock just that one store. The plastic bags and the packaging that is used to display meats, veggies, and grains. That is a lot of waste!! Grab your reusable tote bag and just throw produce in there! God supplied the packaging needed for most fruits and veggies … your job is to eat and enjoy! Am I suggesting that you should never buy something packaged … not really. What I am suggesting is that by being aware of your footprint on this earth you can make a big difference. You children and grandchildren will thank you!
- MAKE FRIENDS WITH YOUR FARMERS – You never know when you’re going to run into a love match or your next best friend. Talking to your farmers and making a genuine connection is how you are going to find out! On a way more serious note, by making friends and supporting local farmers you allow them to continue to stay on their farms and often carry out a legacy that’s been long in the making.
- GET EXPERT ADVICE – The awesome tips and food prep advice that is available at a farmers market is superb. You have to find out for yourself. Oh, and you don’t have to be a foodie. Ask a farmer about an easy dish to make with their produce.
- GROW AWARENESS – Sharing knowledge about agricultural products, food waste, and growth style is what allows us to make informed decisions about our food. We are part of a huge food system and not only do most of us need food to live, but we love the social aspect of dining and cooking! When you know more about your food you just feel better about what is going into your body.
- FEEL THE LOVE – It’s all about community and you will defiantly run into people you know and surely make some new friends!
Even if you have zero intention of cooking anything (maybe you plan to just dine out … or maybe someone else in your home does the cooking), you will enjoy the colors, smells and smiles from your farmers market visit! Here are a few images of beautiful eggplant, peas, beans and more! These were all taken at the Forsyth Park Farmers Market in Savannah, Georgia.
Check out our recent summer tomato recipe over on our Facebook page! Please leave us a fresh recipe that you love for the summer down in the comments!
Do you have any great farmers market recommendations that we should add to our list? Leave it in the comments and share your knowledge!